In early February, in preparation of the 2018 Winter Olympics, #SportsVizSunday, co-run by James Smith, Simon Beaumont and Spencer Baucke, presented the challenge of visualizing the history of the Winter Olympics through the use of one of two data sets; “Medals by Athlete” or “Medals by Country.” After reviewing the data, my instinct was to attempt a chart type I hadn’t yet tried, but had admired for quite some time…the Sankey Chart. So, with the help of a few tutorials and some reverse-engineering, that’s exactly what I did and it’s the reason Sankey Charts are the focus of this edition of the Tableau Tips Directory.
- Sankey Charts in Tableau by Chris Love
- Sankey Chart in Tableau by Rajeev Pandey
- More options for your Tableau Sankey Diagram by Chris DeMartini
- Path to the NFL Draft by Matt Chambers
Visualizations to Reverse-Engineer
- The State of Data Visualization by Ken Flerlage
- Olympic Winter Games Heroes by Klaus Schulte
- Wine by the Case by Matt Chambers
Hopefully these resources will be as valuable to you as they were in helping me complete my first and second Sankey Charts!! There are likely other great Sankey Chart tips out there that I haven’t come across yet and if that’s the case, feel free to add a comment here, including the author of the tip and a link to the tip or Tweet me at @JtothaVizzo.